Skip to main content

Natural Curls? Try My Wash-&-Go Process




You asked for me to share my wash-&-go process and now that I've got it down, here you go. Keep in mind that this process works for my cross between  my 3B and 3C type curls and may not work for tighter coils as a wash and go. But steps 1 through to 4 can work for everybody who wants to reduce breakage and split ends.



Here's what you'll need

Wide Tooth Comb
Shampoo
Conditioner
Leave-on Treatment
Curl Cream
Gel
Cotton T-Shirt

Here's my wash & go process

I start my wash-and-go process in the shower. Doing this leaves me with smooth hair ready for styling.

To do a good wash-&-go, you'll have to factor in time for your hair to dry naturally. When you're working with natural hair, wash and go doesn't necessarily mean you wash your hair and go out the door. I always factor in time for finishing touches for my hair style.
  1. I shampoo my hair once a week. For the rest of the week, I give it a good rinse with conditioner. Whether I'm using shampoo or conditioner, I give my scalp a good massage, and work it through to my ends. Then I repeat this step to let the product really do it's work.
  2. I usually leave the conditioner in for 3-5 minutes, sometimes longer if I'm having a long shower.
  3. I gently comb it through with a wide-toothed comb and sometimes my fingers when I'm rinsing out the conditioner. If you're using the right product, it will be slick enough for the comb (or your fingers) to slide right through with little effort. After rinsing out the conditioner. I gently wring out the excess water.
  4. Then I gently wrap the t-shirt around my head by putting it through the opening of the t-shirt and then I wrap the rest of the t-shirt around my head. I only leave it on for a couple of minutes or just long enough to get rid of the dripping water, making sure my hair is still wet for the next steps.
  5. Before putting any styling products in my hair, I gently put an oil through it. I usually use coconut oil mixed with argon or olive oil, with a splash of lavender oil to make it smell pretty.
  6. Then I add the leave-in. Preferably a spray. Something that gives my hair the nutrients and a punch of moisture.
  7. The next step is the curl defining cream. I put a good amount in my hand and run it right through my hair from my hairline to my ends, 5 or 6 times to cover every strand.
  8. Then I add some gel (without alcohol) to give the front a little more hold and to smooth down the edges (baby hairs),.
  9. This is when I decide how big I want my style to be. If I want big crazy, curly, natural hair with lots of movement, I shake it up a bit. If I want to end up with defined curls, I don't touch it until it air dries naturally.
Remember, this process may not work for everybody as a wash & go but it'll be a great start to most things you plan to do with your hair. 

I think this is going to be my go to hairstyle every summer. I better start figuring out what I'm going to do with this hair over the winter. Have any suggestions?

Look out for some new posts on products that I've tried and now love and trust on my hair.

Wendy


Comments