Skip to main content

Mixtina Shampoo & Conditioner Review



Mixtina was created by a mom of "African American" descent who, like many of us black women on the endless search for just the right product for her daughter's hair. Her daughter,who is mixed with white, has beautiful curly locks that used to cause them both a lot of frustration and tears.

The key to a woman loving her hair is to find the right products that suit the uniqueness of her hair. I've been encouraging my daughter to love and embrace her curls. But without hair products to assist in detangling, provide moisture and control, she was finding it hard to love and embrace her curls. She absolutely loves them now.  I've found a few things that work for her hair, however, it's important to switch it up and rotate between a few products as your hair goes through changes . Mixtina has been added to the rotation.

A few months ago, I reached out to the creators of Mixtina and they sent me their new specially formulated shampoo and conditioner. Each bottle holds 18fl oz and it really goes a long way. It took a couple of months before I got to the bottom of the conditioner and much longer for me to get through the shampoo.


Mixtina's Creators Say


"Mixtina Conditioner is a specially formulated conditioner for mixed hair on all curl patterns. Our one-of-a-kind conditioner will detangle your hair, eliminate "fly-aways" and keep your hair silky and soft. You won't believe how luxurious and rich your beautiful curly locks will look and feel after you use it. This conditioner can be used as a regular conditioner or as a "leave-in"." 18fl oz

Product Review


My hair is more of a kinky, tight, spiral curl, whereas my daughter's curls are smooth. pinkie-finger sized, spiral curls. Kind of the same, yet, quite different. My hair needs more moisture.

Every head of curls is unique, requiring various levels of moisture and definition. If you have curly hair, Mixtina will do the trick. They succeeded in their mission to create a formula for curly "hair of all curl patterns". Although, they say it's for "mixed hair", I've met women from around the world that would love Mixitna. It delivers what curly hair needs and that's moisture and shine.

I've been using the Mixitina shampoo and conditioner on my daughter's hair and mine for about a month. The results for my daughter are defined, shiny and bouncy curls. I'm pretty impressed in what it does for my hair too but I have to admit it works better for my daughter.

I've been transitioning from relaxed hair to natural hair for about a year and a half now. As I get to know my hair again, I'm realising that I need a ton of moisture and something that can keep my kinky curls in check.

The fact that it's paraben and sulfate free just adds to the many reasons to give this product a try.


Mixina New Specially Formulated Shampoo


This shampoo thoroughly cleaned our hair and I mean squeaky clean. I was surprised at how much it lathered up, considering that it's sulfate free.

My hair felt pretty slick when I rinsed it out. It's not a good sign if your shampoo leaves your hair feeling like straw or weighed down. This shampoo leaves your hair feeling clean and ready for the conditioner.


Mixtina New Specially Formulated Conditioner


My Daughter's Hair - Curly Hair/Type 3B

The conditioner was truly impressive overall.The first time I used it, it softened my daughter's hair right away  and gave it a slickness making it easier for the comb to glide right through. Detangling was a breeze. Remember, the best time to get through  the knots is just before or while your rinsing out the conditioner.

The makers of Mixtina told me the conditioner can also be used as a leave-in. I applied about a nickel sized amount to my daughters damp hair by gliding it through with my fingers. We let it air dry for a while and then blow-dried it with the diffuser attachment on the low setting.

The end result was shiny, defined, bouncy, soft curls. See the results below. Perfect curls with excellent definition!

 


My Hair - Kinky Curly/ Type 3C


The Shampoo and conditioner have worked well for me and been added to my hair supply rotation. Although the shampoo is sulfate free, it still works up to a great lather and actually helps to remove build up.

Similar to its effect on my daughter's hair, the conditioner delivers the right amount of moisture. I feel the difference seconds after I work it in to my hair. It also delivered enough slickness, making it easy to comb through my knots.

As a leave-in, I've tried it a few times but it just doesn't provide me with enough definition and moisture for my kinkier curls. Like I've said many times before, each curly girl is unique. Some need more moisture, some need more definition, etc.

Would I recommend this to other curly girls with a little kink? Definitely. It delivers moisture, which is the key to great curls. It also delivers if you comb out the tangles with the conditioner. The comb will glide right through.

You don't have to worry if you're sensitive to scents. The smell is pretty neutral so there's nothing to dislike.

If you have curly hair, this may just be the product for you.

A big THANK YOU to the wonderful folks over at Mixtina for sending me the shampoo and conditioner!

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Wendy


Comments