Skip to main content

Damaged Hair? Revive it with a Leave-In



Does your hair need moisture? If it's like my hair, a little coarse and curly, it needs a lot of moisture. One of the key steps to my hair routine is the right leave-in conditioner. It's the last step before styling so  we've got to get it right or we'll end up with dry, damaged hair that's not manageable. Once you find the leave-in you like, start searching for another because you'll need to rotate between them. After a few months of using the same hair product, you'll find it loses effect. That's when it's time to take a break and use something else. Having two or three favorites will make it easy for you to switch and keep your hairstyling routine under control.

 Check out my favorite leave-in conditioners and why they are the best.


stops and mends hair breakage, leaves hair soft, curly, damaged, dry coarse, hair

Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioning Repair Cream

Hair Type - damaged/dry/curly/coarse

Curl Type: 3b-c, 4a-c

Awesome. Just a blob of this thick cream in the middle of your hand will leave your hair hydrated, frizz-free. Great product whether your leaving your hair curly or going for a straight style. Great for wash and go styles, where you're looking for excellent curl definition and frizz-free hair. Excellent results when used for a blow-out, providing thermal protection, shine, and movement.

There are many satisfied Cantu costumers around the world rating this leave-in as 4.5-5 on a scale of 1 to 5.. The price is excellent at less than $15 in Toronto.



How do I use it?

It's great for curly styles, but it needs a little help in the area of definition. The only time a comb or brush touches my hair is in the shower when I'm rinsing out my conditioner. Then, just before wrapping my hair in a t-shirt, I apply a blob Cantu mixed with a bit of oil and small puff of hair mousse (I like Finesse).  I wrap it with a t-shirt and leave it in while I'm getting ready.

It's also great for straight styles, leaving you with hydrated, healthy looking hair with a ton of movement. I apply a blob of Cantu mixed with a bit of oil. My go-to oils are Rusk Thermal Serum and Dermorganics Treatment with argan oil. Then I comb out my hair and divide it in sections. I blow out my hair using the medium setting on my blow dryer, never the hottest. It leaves me with a puffy finish but I use the flat iron or curling iron to finish off the smoothing process. By the way, I never use my hot tools at a setting higher than 375°F. In my opinion, 400°F is too high.





It's a 10 Miracle Leave-in Product

Hair Type: curly/ straight/thick/dry/damaged/weak

Curl Type: 2a-c, 3a-c 

Not too many products can boast that they deliver "instant repair" and mean it. It makes your hair silky, making it easy to comb through tangles. It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In will leave your hair soft and manageable with shine. The split ends just disappear and your transforms in to shiny healthy hair. This one does the job.

It's kind of pricey in Toronto for over $20 for a 4 oz bottle but as many reviews will tell you, it's worth the price.

Product reviews around the world rate this leave-in as a 5 on a scale of 1-5. Until recently, I only used this product on my wet hair to prep for blow dry and straightening. Through my ongoing research, I found out you can use this product on dry hair and that it's great for daily thermal protection.

How do I use it?

I love It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In  for blowouts. I'm left with a silky smooth finish and lots of movement when I use this product. My straight hair styles last for days keeping the illuminating shine and movement.

I start by spraying it on my hair, focusing on the ends. I add about a blob that's size of a nickel of my favorite oil. Then I comb through  tangles and divide my hair into sections. I dry my hair using the blow dryer on medium heat (never high) and the high blow setting.

My hair is usually still quite puffy at this point but straightening with a flat iron or curling iron finishes off the smoothing process. By the way, I never use my irons at a setting higher than 375°F. In my opinion, 400°F, may give you a smooth finish but it's too high for daily or semi-daily use. I've done it before and I promise it will eventually cause irreversible damage.

I wouldn't recommend It's a 10 as a leave-in on days when you plan to wear your natural curls. It tried using it for my natural curly style and my curls were lacked definition.

This one is a must try, especially for those hair styles where you need to start with smooth, straight hair.


Uniq One All In One Hair Treatment

Hair Type: coarse/thick/curly/dry/damaged/weak

Curl Type: 3b-c, 4a-4c

Uniq One is similar to It's a 10 but it's heavier. It delivers a ton of moisture, helping to bring dry damaged hair back to life. Seconds after you spray it on your hair, the comb will glide right through. If your hair is thick and coarse and needs emergency care, I recommend this leave in for you. Some not-so-happy customers complained that it weighed down their hair, so I recommend that you start with a small amount and build up from there.

This product may weigh down your hair if you're hair is fine or thin hair.


How do I use it?

Same as the way I use It's a 10.





Dermorganics Leave-In Treatment with Argan Oil


Hair Type: straight/wavy/curly/dry/damaged

Curl Type: 2a, 2b, 2c alone & all other curl types combined with a heavier leave-in.

This one is lightweight and has a lot of power. Dermoganics treatment is excellent can be used alone for fine hair straight to wavy hair. If you have course or curly hair, you should to mix Dermoganics treatment with a heavier leave-in. This is a great addition to your beauty box because it delivers shine and rejuvenates your hair. There seem to be many satisfied Dermoganics customers.

How do I use it?

This is one of the oils that I mix with my leave-in on curly hair days. I haven't tried it alone for a blowout as yet but the reviews I've read are excellent. It was recommended to me by a lady whose hair I notices has gotten thicker and grown rapidly over the last few months.

Well, those are my favorite leave-in conditioners. All the reviews are based on at least one month of trial. If I didn't love them, they wouldn't be on my list. Let me know what leave-in you love or whether you like any of my favorites. I'd love to hear from you.

Wendy




Comments